Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Safety gear possibilities

After CJ's and my conversation this weekend about his spotting me when I swim and what safety equipment to use, I did some research.

We want something that is 1) inexpensive, 2) light weight, 3) easy to use, and 4) effective (not necessarily in that order.)

A ring buoy is an obvious choice. But it would have the drawback of being big and bulky, not to mention dorky. I just don't see CJ walking along the shore, following me, with a ring buoy over his shoulder. He isn't a lifeguard, just a husband who doesn't want to feel helpless if his partner is needing assistance.



So then we discussed a throw bag. The throw bag has the advantage of being light weight, easy to use, and easy for him to store in a backpack or other bag. This is likely the option we are going to go with. CJ was worried about the ease of use for this for a rescue. I showed him a few articles, mostly focused on kayaksers, and he's agreed that this could work.

The plan now is to do a little more research and make a purchasing decision. I'll keep things updated when it comes in.


2 comments:

  1. Rebecca,

    A friend of mine just sent me your blog and, having just begun OWS'ing this year, I am enjoying reading of your adventures. I've been thinking about the safety spotting issue too and asked one of the guys at Speedy Reedy about it. He suggested the ISHOF SafeSwimmer (http://www.ishof.org/cgi-bin/mivavm?/Merchant2/merchant.mvc+Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SF)as a possibility.

    Another of my friends bought one so we could test it. So far so good.

    Best.

    -R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. I have had others recommend that as well, and they were on backorder last time I tried to get one. Was able to order this week, and it shipped today!

    ReplyDelete