Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Training Goals

I grew up with San Francisco being my home away from home. My grandparents, aunts, and uncles all lived in the greater Bay Area, and I was out there visiting annually, at least. 

My Grandmother had a flat on Vallejo with an amazing view of the bay. It was there that I learned that Alcatraz was the one on the right and Angel Island was the one on the left.  I used to walk through the tourist areas in Fisherman's Warf and Pier 39 and admire the Alcatraz Swim Club t-shirts, understanding the joke that swimming from Alcatraz was impossible.

This September I will turn 50.  So I will attempt the "impossible". On September 5th, if all goes well with training and this pandemic we are living in, I will swim from Alcatraz to the San Francisco Aquatic Park.




The distance is 1.22 miles. Of course it is impossible to swim it that straight. But if one could, it is shorter than the Park to Park that I've done often.  The current could also be impressive that day, making it harder than anything I've done, including Swim Defiance

So the plan is to revamp the blog, and follow my summer of training for Alcatraz!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment