Friday, August 24, 2018

things I like about Alki

Alki beach has become my happy place. This little stretch of shore, some sandy, some seawall, is a place I always know I'll leave happier and more relaxed than I was when I came.  This photo shows the beach. In the middle, that red-roofed building, is our beloved bath house. The place where the Notorious Alki Swimmers meet up. We usually swim toward the lighthouse (to the right in this photo) but, if the currents are strong as the tide goes out, we will swim along the sandy beach (to the left in this photo).

What I like about Alki is that everyone uses the park for the things that bring them joy. Walking up to the park on any given day you will see all sorts of recreational activities.

These folks do a slow movement activity that I'm guessing is Thai Chi. They always seem to have different levels of skill, and I love that they use this space to learn.


Little kids love the beach.  The sight of toddlers throwing rocks, chasing seagulls, and watching the waves is common. Alki is a family friendly place.


Speaking of family friendly, every week as we gather for our swim, there is a group of parents and kids working out.  The kids are in strollers and are involved in the workout with songs and other games. 


I respect anyone who is open to exercise and doing things that make their body happy.  I do admit, I think these folks look a little weird.  What I love about that, though, is that I'm certain they think we are weird too.  Weirdness is accepted, all around.


And speaking of weird.... this is my friend, Erin.  She's one of the things I love about Alki as well.  Getting into cold water is much easier when you are laughing.



No comments:

Post a Comment