Sunday, June 24, 2018

Green Lake Open Water Swim Race Report 2010

GLOWS report written elsewhere, brought here for continuity, hence no photos.

Swam GLOWS (Green Lake Open Water Swim) for the second time this morning. It's a half mile open water swim with the finish about 2 blocks from my house (the start is just half a mile across the lake from that). When I swam it 2 years ago, it was my first ever open water swim, I panicked in the middle of the lake and thought I was going to drown. I somehow pushed through the panic and made it across, I was DFL for a while, but passed two people and finished third to last with a time of 22:58. My goal for today was to 1) not drown, 2) finish further up in the pack and 3) beat my time.

Training had been OK. I haven't been in a pool in months, but had been getting in the lake when the weather allowed (Yeah, I don't swim in the lake in the rain, I might get wet). My last swim had been a half mile out-and-back in the lake on Wednesday. I wore my wetsuit and was warm enough.

This morning the water temp was 64 degrees and the skies were overcast and in the 60s. I got up, had a banana, put on my suit and walked over to the lake. We met my SIL (J) and her friend L and L's daughter E. I picked up my packet which was a t-shirt a "personal best" ribbon and my number. They were using pin-on numbers this year, and body marking only folks that didn't have wetsuits.  We took the shuttle around the lake to the start and I got suited up.  My spouse kindly offered to carry gear back to the finish for us. He took a few photos and took off walking the .8 miles back to the finish when we got in the water.

The water felt cold and I was glad to have my wetsuit. It was a wet start, with the line of the docks as our "line" so we treaded water until the air horn sounded. Then I swam. Started crawl, turned back to breast, and back to crawl. Alternating as needed. I had a very hard time catching my breath, and would stop to tread and breathe, but then pant as soon as I started swimming again. I told myself "slow down, this isn't a race" then laughed, because it was, in fact, a race, but I didn't want to race it, in that way. I decided to just pant, and be ok with it. I got into a rhythm of 20 strokes breast 10 strokes crawl, repeat, and it seemed to work. About half way across the lake, I looked back to see how I was doing, and saw that I was both half way across and there were a good dozen or so people behind me. That felt good, and I was able to stay in my rhythm.

At one point, another swimmer swam across my line, and straight for a guard on a surfboard. I figured he was ending his race. Nope, just off course. The guard set him straight, which didn't last long. He proceeded to cross my line at least 8 more times. The poor guy probably swam a mile in a half mile race!

Nearing the finish I was happy to see the line come into sight. The guard boat passed, leaving a huge wake, and carrying 2 swimmers they had pulled out. I tried to ride the wave in, a bit. Finally, I felt the ground with my hands, stood and smiled. My spouse was on shore taking photos. I looked up at the finish clock and it said 22:xx, I sprinted and finished with a time of 22:27, and at least 15 people behind me, meeting all 3 of my goals!! And I had enough energy to spend the afternoon at the Pride Parade!

The spouse commented that I came out of the water much less shaky than last time, and generally I felt strong. I need to work on my front crawl, and keep increasing my distance, my goal is a 2 mile swim in the other lake on Aug 31. My SIL finished in about 15 min, her friend L just ahead of her and E just behind. E got third in her age group (15-19) which is awesome because the first OA finisher was in her age group (with a time of 10 and change).

No comments:

Post a Comment